I know it is too early for 2012 predictions and let us consider this to be the preview of what will come towards the end of this year. Cloud Expo is round the corner and Jeremy Geelan asked me to send him five predictions for 2012 as a part of Cloud Expo preview. They have published predictions by some Industry Analysts on what is in store for 2012 and it also includes my predictions. I thought I will share them here too. For a more complete list, please visit this page.
- PaaS is the future of cloud services and we will see some interesting business model innovations in 2012.
- Federated clouds will take off in a big way and we will be seeing more and more cloud brokerage services helping buyers navigate the ecosystem.
- 2012 will be the year when the marriage between big data and cloud will strengthen. Though we will be seeing more on the analytics side in 2012, we will also be seeing some efforts to remove the inertia associated with big data.
- The convergence of mobile, cloud and social will accelerate and by the end of 2012, cloud apps that are not “socially aware” and without mobile support will be looked down as “legacy apps”. Also, we will see more and more application vendors bringing in feature parity in their apps for different mobile applications. Towards the end of 2012, mobile web apps will dominate over native apps.
- Watch out for some interesting cloud adoption trends in the Indian sub-continent and APAC region. They will soon become the biggest market for clouds.