Yesterday, Microsoft announced the release of VMMSSP, which in short form is called as Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 Self-Service Portal 2. VMMSSP is the partner-extensible solution built on top of Windows Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V, and System Center VMM. This announcement marks the second part of their private cloud strategy. Let us take a look at the announcement and what it means to cloud computing.
- Enterprises were not ready to dump everything on public clouds, even if Microsoft os the one providing the public cloud infrastructure
- Microsoft will want to use private cloud strategy to plug the loss of revenue on their server products as companies move to cloud based world
- Manage all the resources in the datacenter
- Simplify business unit on-boarding
- Manage infrastructure requests from various business units and provide forms for self-service virtual machine provisioning
- Extend and customize virtual machine actions including an ability to add third party extensions