10gen (previous CloudAve coverage), the company behind open source MongoDB database (previous CloudAve coverage), today announced a new round of funding worth $20 Million backed by Sequoia Capital with the support of existing investors, Flybridge Capital and Union Square Ventures. 10gen has raised $31 Million since their inception in 2007. This will help 10gen to expand globally including Europe and Asia by focussing more on customer support and R&D. This also includes opening their offices at Ireland and UK. MongoDB has seen tremendous growth with over 100K downloads of their open source edition. 10gen has more than 400 paying customers including 6 of the Fortune 100 companies. Some of their well known customers include Ericsson, Viacom, SAP, Telefonica, Foursquare, Craigslist, Disney, Shutterfly, MTV, Intuit, etc.. Off late, MongoDB has been seeing global demand from enterprises, governments, media organizations, gaming sector, etc.. The newly infused capital will help them further strengthen their traction and ensure that they stay ahead of competition like CouchDB.
- Concurrency Improvements
- Better indexing including size and performance improvements. The indexing in this release is much faster than the previous version
- Authentication with sharded clusters
- Compact command
- Geo-Spatial features
- Support for monitoring
etc.. In the future, they have plans to have much improved aggregation and forecasting support. I asked them about the security in the big data world and they told me that some of the security features may show up in their enterprise builds in the future. MongoDB has considerable traction in the NoSQL space and 10gen is determined to make the most out of its popularity. This round of funding will help them in their plans.
- MongoDB 2.0 debuts with shrunken indexes (go.theregister.com)
- Jorge Escobar: Running MongoDB on the Cloud (nosql.mypopescu.com)
- MongoDB 2.0 Released (mongodb.org)
- Video: 10gen Delivers Agility with Open Source MongoDB (insidehpc.com)