Check out Quantivo.com – they recently won the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal’s prestigious Emerging Technology Award in the Cloud Computing category and have written an interesting whitepaper on why business intelligence is a perfect candidate for delivery via SaaS.
The whitepaper points out that while many markets have been reshaped by technology changes over the past decade, BI has been relatively untouched by this progress with in-depth customer analysis remaining prohibitively expensive and requiring a long implementation time. This has lead to what Quantivo call the “analytics gap” whereby an ever increasing level of reporting detail is unmatched by a similar growth in analytical technologies.
Quantivo believes SaaS is a perfect delivery mechanism for BI applications. It does so for the following reasons;
- Traditional solutions are high cost
- Traditional solutions need specialised skills in house
- Traditional solutions have very long evaluation and deployment times
- Generally analytics data is somewhat generic and thus has rasonably low security needs
- Generally BI apps do not need tight integration with other business apps
It’s a good report – well worth the read (and a hat tip to my god friends at RPM Retail for pointing it out to me)