The 2010 IBM Tech Trends Survey, conducted by IBM DeveloperWorks with 2000 developers, throws up some interesting trends in the coming years. The survey highlights the growing importance of mobile platforms and cloud computing among the developers, a clear indication that cloud computing is very well beyond the inflated peaks resulting from marketing campaigns. If anyone wants to find the pulse of what is happening in IT, it is important to check with the developers. This survey highlights some interesting trends developing from the developers point of view.
Some of the trends predicted by this survey are
- A whopping 90% of developers think that cloud computing will dominate the traditional on-premise computing by 2015
- 55% of the surveyed developers think that application development on mobile platforms will surpass the development on the traditional computing platforms by 2015
- More than 40% of the developers think that Mobile will be one of the dominant trends in 2011, one-third consider cloud computing and/or SaaS to be important next year and around 25% consider Social Media and Business Analytics to be important
- For the question on which new industry developers will pick to expand their IT careers based on the best available opportunity, more than 30% of them answered that they will choose Telecom. This is an interesting side trend to note knowing how Alcatel-Lucent is luring developers through an attractive platform and interesting acquisitions like Programmable Web
Some of these trends are clearly visible in my interactions with developers. In fact, if the recent iPad meme is any indication, the importance of mobile platforms in the enterprise context can be well understood. The developers’ attraction towards Android platform further advances this trend. Clearly, the next 3-4 years are going to change the enterprise IT landscape so drastically that it may be tough for some of us to believe that IT existed how it is existing today. Interesting times are ahead and it is time for organizations to realize that Cloud Computing and Mobile platforms are crucial to any successful enterprise strategy. If you are a developer, I would love to hear your thoughts on where we are headed in the short term. Please feel free to get in touch with me through this site or by using the comments section below.
- Cloud, Mobile Come Up Big in IBM Survey of 2,000 IT Pros (devx.com)
- IBM Adds Developer Tools, Resources for Expected Boom in Cloud, Mobile Application Development (IT Channel Planet)